Thinking of leaving your abusive partner?
Looking for a safety plan? Leaving is the most dangerous time for a person experiencing Domestic Violence, an abuser will do whatever they can to keep you from leaving.
Reasons leaving feels so scary:
- You don’t want others to think badly of you.
- You don’t want others to think badly of your spouse.
- Packing up and taking kids makes you more vulnerable.
- You’re afraid what will happen if your partner catches you.
- You don’t know how he will react after you leave.
- You don’t know what to expect from the legal system.
- You don’t know where you will be safe.
- You’re afraid of him getting the kids.
- You don’t know where you will live.
- You don’t know how you will support yourself and your kids.
- You may not have a job.
- You may not have transportation.
- The unknown.
- Your abuser may have ties to police, judges, or other authority figures and you don’t know if they will favor him.
- You’re afraid for your life and the life of your kids.
Reach out! Get help. There are several resources available to make leaving easier. Here is a great place to get started!